Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Week 1, Day 1 done

So yesterday was my first day of running and training for my first 5k. So how was it you ask? It was a great start but I wanted to stop after three 5 min runs with a minute break in between each run. By the third I was dying...I started to feel pain on my right hip, all I could think of was my next 1 minute break. I reached my last 5 minute run at a measly 3.7 pace and was literally talking to myself, telling myself to keep going, "only 4 minutes left, " you can do it, push. "Only 3 minutes left," "if you can do this today you can do this tomorrow." Needless to say I finished!!! Was in a bit of pain, but I finished! I can't remember my time or how far I ran but I finished my first day of training. 5 minutes of running, 1 minute of walking, five times! After my run, I stretched out a bit, did 100 situps and called it a night :) Yaye for me! I did it! I have read blog after blog, from newbie runners that it gets better in time, the pain goes away, you have more endurance, and that you will get stronger in time but just stick to it!

I found a really great blog from a gal who starting running too and posted an entry about her first 5k, she was/is really encouraging. She is 5'4" and weighed 150 lbs, I'm a bit shorter at 5'2" and a bit heavier at 155lbs but let's just say, if she can do it, I'm sure I can. Check out her blog: http://graduatemeghann.com/2009/06/09/my-first-5k/

So this morning, my legs and hips are feeling the pain. I am debating if I'm going to run today because of the pain, I'm hoping the pain subsides so I can run this evening...I need to stick to the plan!! I will be ready for May 16th for my first 5k!

No comments: